1001 Spikes

Discover the lost treasures of Ukampa in South America as Aban Hawkins searches for his estranged father, world-famous archaeologist, Jim Hawkins. Aban Hawkins races into the frozen tundra of the antarctic, undiscovered temple ruins and the vast caverns of South America in search of his father and the legendary treasure rumored to lie…

1001 Spikes is a pixel-perfect platformer in which every move matters, and this is why it isn’t for me at all. I am terrible at platformers at the best of times, and 1001 Spikes is extremely difficult for anyone but the best of the best, like those who’ve beaten Super Meat Boy.

The art style is attractive and works well, but the music is terribly repetitive midi tones, which when you die as much as I do, just makes it harder and harder to concentrate as your rage for the shitty music bubbles underneath your hatred of yourself for buying this game much less playing it.

This is currently £9.99 on the Steam store and I just hope, for my own sanity, I did not pay that much for it. That isn’t to say the game isn’t worth it, if your idea of fun is making sure you land on the exact right pixel or lose your progress for that level, then you can’t go wrong with this monstrosity of a game.

The controls on this game are absolutely perfect and a joy to play with. I’d say a good 90% of the times I died were due to my own stupidity, and the other 10% was the games bullshit. Not once did I blame the controls, as they are flawless.

Would I play it again? Absolutely not, it’s a very well made game, music notwithstanding, but I’m totally not into pixel-perfect platformers. But if you are, you cannot go wrong with this little bastard of a game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *